If you’re looking for a durable, beautiful, and low-maintenance timber decking material, then Yellow Balau decking is an excellent option. Yellow Balau, also known as Shorea laevis or Balau, is a tropical hardwood that originates from Southeast Asia. In this article, we’ll discuss why yellow Balau is an ideal timber decking material, including its properties, benefits, and maintenance.
Properties of Yellow Balau
Yellow Balau is a dense, durable, and stable timber that is resistant to rot, insects, and decay. It has a natural resistance to water, making it an ideal option for outdoor decking. Yellow Balau has a warm golden-brown color, which deepens with age, giving it a timeless appeal.
Yellow Balau has a Class 1 durability rating, which means it can last for up to 25 years or more if properly maintained. It has a high density of 920-1100 kg/m³, making it ideal for outdoor applications such as decking, cladding, and furniture.
Benefits of Yellow Balau Decking
Yellow Balau decking offers several benefits, including:
1. Durability: Yellow Balau is a long-lasting timber that is resistant to rot, insects, and decay. It is an ideal option for outdoor decking because it can withstand harsh weather conditions such as rain, snow, and sunlight.
2. Low maintenance: Yellow Balau requires minimal maintenance compared to other timber decking materials. It doesn’t require regular staining or painting, reducing the time and cost needed to maintain your deck.
3. Aesthetic appeal: Yellow Balau has a warm golden-brown color that is timeless and adds value to your outdoor space.
4. Versatility: Yellow Balau can be used for different decking styles and designs, including contemporary, traditional, and rustic.
5. Sustainability: Yellow Balau is a sustainable timber option that is harvested responsibly. It is a renewable resource that can be replenished naturally.
Maintenance of Yellow Balau Decking
Proper maintenance is essential to ensure that your yellow Balau decking lasts for many years. Here are some tips on how to maintain your yellow Balau decking:
1. Regular cleaning: Sweep your decking regularly to remove debris and dirt. Use a mild detergent or deck cleaning solution and a soft brush to clean stubborn stains.
2. Stain or oil your decking: Yellow Balau decking can be stained or oiled to protect it from weather damage. It is recommended to do this every two to three years.
3. Seal your decking: If you want to preserve the natural color of your yellow Balau decking, you can seal it using a clear sealant. This will protect it from moisture damage and UV rays.
4. Use furniture pads: Place furniture pads under your outdoor furniture to prevent scratches and stains on your decking.
5. Trim nearby trees: Trim nearby trees to prevent leaves and debris from accumulating on your decking.
GripDeck: The Non-Slip Decking Solution
Slippery decking can be hazardous, especially during wet weather conditions. That’s why GripDeck, a non-slip decking solution, was developed. GripDeck can be applied to yellow Balau decking to provide a safe and slip-resistant surface.
GripDeck is made from a combination of resin and aggregate, making it both durable and long-lasting. GripDeck is inserts are factory applied and have to be applied before your decking is installed, alternatively Retrogrip inserts are available for your existing grooved decking.
Yellow Balau is a versatile, durable, and sustainable timber decking material that offers several benefits. It has a natural resistance to water, insects, and decay, making it an ideal for use as a deck. Yellow Balau decking is available from Gripdeck in 21mm x 145mm, 25mm x 145mm, 28mm x 145mm and 45mm x 145mm. Call us today to get a quote for the ultimate hardwood timber decking by Gripdeck